2101 south bay lane
reston, va 20191
note: not available to relocate.
"GNSS Based Altimetry", IFATCA Controller, October 2015
Senior Analyst, Mosaic ATM, Leesburg, VA
January 2016 to present
- Developed data models for FAA maintenance information exchange standard. Researched FAA maintenance system databases.
- Worked with Sparx Enterprise Architect (EA) modeling tool and developed MS Access solution for entry and reporting of custom metadata within EA.
- Participated in advanced trajectory modeling project.
Staff Specialist, Washington Air Route Traffic Control Center (ZDC), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Leesburg, VA
July 2009 to December 2015
- Championed effort to revise critical air traffic control phraseology known as "time-to-climb". Presented a paper and proposal on this to the Air Traffic Procedures Advisory Committee and worked patiently and persistently with numerous stakeholders for 7 years. The change was finally published October 11, 2013. (View ATPAC notes.)
- Built, manage and administer internet-based schedule and leave bidding application , annually saving the Agency over $100,000 while providing both controllers and supervisors a popular tool for juggling shift work. App constantly evolves to incorporate overtime usage, furloughs, provide text notifications, and more and is operational at 4 FAA facilities.
- Built, manage and administer employee tracking system that and generates internal web site of personnel information with staffing graphics , picture boards and other administrative data. The system also generates printable full-facility picture boards.
- Business Objects Report Builder and facility lead.
- Built and manage internet-based calendar tool for ZDC staff.
- Serve as PIV Trusted Agent and manage building access security.
- Serve as local admin for several Agency web applications and primary POC for management of employee network access.
- Developer and administrator of overtime tracking system used facility-wide from 2003 until 2015. This was the most elaborate system in FAA and still is unmatched in granularity of tracking.
- Led team of subject matter experts to convert existing video maps to En Route Automation Modernization (ERAM) .
Representative to the International Federation of Air Traffic Controllers Associations (IFATCA)
July 2009 to April 2012 and November 2013 to present
- Member of the Technical Operations Committee (TOC). TOC writes papers, gives presentations and develops policy for IFATCA on emerging technologies and procedures.
- Presented papers on GNSS-based Altimetry, Blended Airspace, Emergency Descent Procedures, Continuous Climb Operations, SID and STAR Naming, Continuous Descent Operations, Runway Status Lights, and ADS-B Flight ID (more info below)
- Awarded a Letter of Appreciation in 2012 for developing web applications enabling IFATCA provide a versatile online Technical and Professional Manual and to track membership, official travel and magazine subscriptions.
Air Traffic Controller, Washington Air Route Traffic Control Center, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Leesburg, VA
August 1988 to present
- Distinguished history of achievement including Superior Accomplishment Awards, Letters of Commendation, Cash Awards and Time Off Awards. Submitted numerous Employee Suggestions, NARs, and Cost Reduction Proposals (full history).
- Served on cadre helping to deploy major innovations including the Voice Switching and Communications System (VSCS) and Display System Replacement (DSR).
- In 2002, built, deployed and supported the ZDC automated schedule and leave tracking software in MS Access. This system was used for seven years when it was replaced by my web-based version described above.
IT Support, National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA), Washington, DC
September 2004 to present.
- Built, deployed, develop, train and support NATCA's Grievance Automated Tracking System (GATS) to over a thousand users throughout the country. GATS is NATCA�s official grievance tracking system. It is used by all air traffic control facility representatives and is written in Oracle Application Express.
- Technical lead for GATS support contracts with Zirous Inc. (Oracle DBA) and Accenture Enkitec (application development).
- Trained ITC SME Steve Schreck (STL) in the Oracle platform and together with Steve built Survey Junkie, an easy-to-use surveying tool that is directly integrated with the NATCA member database. The tool was deployed in April 2009.
- Built several other internet apps on the Oracle platform, including a document library, facility issue tracker, team collaboration tool, reservation book, blog, and financial account tracker.
International Conference Presentations
- International Federation of Air Traffic Controllers Associations (IFATCA)
- Annual Conference in Sofia, Bulgaria, April 20-24, 2015: GNSS-based Altimetry Blended Airspace
- Annual Conference in Gran Canaria, Spain, May 5-9, 2014: Emergency Descent Procedures
- Annual Conference in Kathmandu, Nepal, March 12-16, 2012: Continuous Climb Operations SID and STAR Naming
- Annual Conference in Amman, Jordan, April 11-15, 2011: Continuous Descent Operations Runway Status Lights
- Annual Conference in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, April 12-16, 2010: ADS-B Flight ID
- Kaleidoscope 2009 - Oracle Developer Tools User Group (ODTUG) Conference, Monterey, CA, June 21-24, 2009 Reviews
- Kaleidoscope 2008 - ODTUG Conference, New Orleans, June 15-19, 2008 Reviews
- Oracle Open World 2007 - San Francisco, CA, November 11-15, 2007
- Kaleidoscope 2007 - ODTUG Conference in Daytona Beach, FL, June 18-21, 2007 Reviews
- Kaleidoscope 2006 - ODTUG Conference in Washington, DC, June 17-21, 2006
- Desktop 2006 - ODTUG Virtual Conference, February 21, 2006
Learning Tree International
Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
Married, two children ages 14 and 18. Enjoy cycling, Bikram yoga and bridge and hold an instrument pilot rating.